Deep dive: 1 July super reforms
To help prepare you for the 1 July superannuation changes, we offer a series of training workshops, each explaining key aspects of the reforms and any action you need to take with clients.
These are a re-run of workshops first held in February 2017 - due to popular demand.
|Suited to||Professionals servicing SMSFs, including advisers and accountants|
|Duration||90 minutes per workshop|
|CPD points||1.5 per workshop|
This session will explain how transfer balance accounts will operate including a detailed look at the transactions which give rise to credits and debits on such accounts. We'll also explain:
- How the proportional indexation rules will work will work for clients who commence a second pension after 1 July 2017
- The excess transfer balances determination process and commutation elections
- The calculation of notional earnings and the payment of excess transfer balance tax
- The integrity measures which will prohibit some SMSFs from segregating their assets for tax purposes and the new rules which will apply to lump sum pension withdrawals
This session will explain the CGT relief provisions and how to determine which fund assets are eligible for CGT relief. We'll explain:
- How to apply the CGT relief rules where the fund is using the segregated or unsegregated asset method, or where the funds starts to use the unsegregated method
- How to make a valid choice and the record keeping obligations
- The effect of resetting an asset’s cost base to its market value
- Options available for a fund when considering relief and the scenarios where relief should not be claimed
- The application of the general anti-avoidance provisions
This session will explain how reversionary pensions and child pensions will be assessed for the transfer balance cap and the impact on estate planning strategies. We'll explain:
- The options available to clients in situations where a reversionary pension results in an excess transfer balance
- The new rules applying to death benefit rollovers
- The child’s transfer balance cap
- How defined benefit pensions will be assessed for the transfer balance cap and the new income tax rules for excess defined benefit income.
This session will explain the new contribution caps and the eligibility rules for non-concessional contributions. We'll explain:
- The transitional bring forward rules for non-concessional contributions and how to maximise a client’s contributions under the new bring forward provisions
- How to calculate a client’s “total superannuation balance” for the purposes of the new non-concessional contribution eligibility rules
- The new catch-up contribution rules for concessional contributions and associated strategies.
- The new rules applying to deductible personal contributions and concessional contributions made to constitutionally protected funds
- Account balance equalisation strategies and call to action contribution strategies for 2016/17
Standard price$99 per workshop (incl. GST)
Discounted price for clients
$66 per workshop (incl. GST)
Enter a promotional code when registering - to obtain the code phone 1300 023 170.
*All four workshops are held over the course of a day, choose one or more to suit.
Courses at a glance
Courses at a glance
SMSF In Practice
FOR ALL PRACTITIONERS
Keep up-to-date with the latest industry and legislative developments.
UPSKILL IN A KEY AREA
Become expert in a key area of superannuation and achieve a competitive edge.