SMSF Specialist Course
Comprehensive training for practitioners.
Equips you for advice. Provides up to 27 CPD points/hrs.
Nationally-recognised SMSF course
This course offers comprehensive SMSF training reflective of the very latest legislation. It provides up to 27 CPD points/hrs. And with the course listed on ASIC’s training register, you'll achieve the specialist knowledge required to give SMSF advice.
Due to the evolving situation with COVID-19 we’ve made the decision to change the delivery method from face to face to a series of virtual workshops.
Held over three consecutive weeks, Tuesdays and Wednesdays, 10am to 2pm, followed by an online exam.
Week 1: 8 Sept & 9 Sept
Week 2: 15 Sept & 16 Sept
Week 3: 22 Sept & 23 Sept
Requirements for virtual workshops:
- Our virtual workshop will be fully interactive, a webcam is recommended
- Microsoft Windows 7 or higher (Windows 8 recommended) OR Mac OSX v10.5 or higher (Mac OSX v10.6 recommended)
- Internet connection (broadband preferably)
- Delivered via GoToTraining, attendees can download and install the full-feature desktop software on your Windows and Mac computer.
The course consists of a workshop held over three consecutive days, 9am to 5pm, followed by an online exam.
As part of the workshop a comprehensive workbook and copy of the slide presentation is provided. There is no requirement to bring a laptop.
The workshop is fully catered with all food and refreshments.
Dress code: business casual.
- What is an SMSF?
- Sole purpose test
- Benefits of SMSFs
- Establishing an SMSF
- Trustee options and trust deeds
- SMSF residency
- Service providers
- Provision of advice
- Trustee responsibilities
- Investment strategy
- Accepting contributions
- Loans to members
- Borrowing rules
- Limited recourse borrowing arrangements
- In-house asset rules
- Related parties
- Collectables and personal use assets
- Member accounts
- Assessable income of SMSFs
- Derivation of income and deductibility of expenses
- Non-arm's length income
- Use of reserves
- Determining benefit entitlements
- Conditions of release
- Proportioning of benefits
- Taxation of benefits
- Commencing a pension
- Taxation of pensions
- Exempt current pension income
- Segregation v non-segregation
- Continuing pension liability on death
- Estate planning
- SMSFs and family law
- SMSFs and bankruptcy
- Winding up an SMSF
Simple online assessment process:
- Following the workshop you will be sent a link to an online exam
- You must sit the exam within two weeks of receiving the link
- The exam comprises 120 multiple choice questions which must be completed in a single sitting and within a time limit of 2 hours and ten minutes
- You can request up to three resits; the conditions for each resit are per the original exam
Provides 27 CPD hours for FASEA
This course is a ‘qualifying CPD activity’ and provides 27 CPD hours in the category of ‘Technical Competence’.
Note: Each year you must earn 40 CPD hours from ‘qualifying CPD activity’, 28 of which must be approved by your licensee, with the remaining 12 hours not requiring approval. Furthermore, the activity must spread across FASEA’s CPD categories, with minimum hours applicable in each category.
CPD accreditation for other bodies
|SMSF Association||23 CPD points|
|Financial Planning Association||27 CPD points|
|Institute of Public Accountants||24 CPE hours*|
|Chartered Accountants Australia & New Zealand||24 CPE points*|
|Tax Practitioners Board||24 CPE hours*|
*You should use your own professional judgement and assess whether our programme provides professionally relevant training and the appropriate number of CPD points or CPE hours. The above allocation assumes professionally relevant training and equates one hour of training with one CPD point or one CPE hour.
Certificate of completion
All attendees who successfully complete the course will receive a certificate of completion from the University of Adelaide.
This is an industry-recognised course listed on ASIC’s Training Register.
By successfully completing this course you will satisfy ASIC’s RG146 SMSF specialist knowledge requirements. You will also need to satisfy FASEA competency requirements to give SMSF advice and you’re licensed to provide that advice.
$1,665 (incl. GST) for the workshop and exam
Early bird discount
- 10% discount available
- Valid until two weeks prior to course commencement
- When registering online enter promotional code earlyspecial